Thursday, October 09, 2008

HAPPY BIRTHDAY BEATLE JOHN

"Oh Danny Boy, the Odes of Pan are calling". Today we remember that on this day, in 1940, was born the late great John Winston Lennon. The reference with which I started this entry is heard at the end of "One After 909" on the "Let It Be" album. It alludes to the fact that John, Paul, George & Ringo derived very much of their music from classic western literature. At the end of "I Am the Walrus" the Fabs even cite the words of Oswald, Edgar & Gloucester from King Lear (Act 4, Sc.VI). Today is also the fiftieth anniversary of the death of Pope Pius XII, one of the most significant figures to come out of World War II & the twentieth century in general. We should hope that he will someday very soon be canonized. I made sure I called up Rose over on Eighth Street this morning to make an appointment for a haircut. It's at 2:30 this afternoon. This is the first time I've ever bothered to make an appointment with her. Usually I just go right ahead & show up. Yesterday, early in the morning, it was bitter cold & got warm during the day. This morning started out very warm. It's all so weird for October. I just found out that October 5 was the birthday of Larry from the Three Stooges. He was born in 1902.

No comments: